Saturday, March 14, 2009

Thursday a.m. Idea Post 3/12

I walked into my interview feeling prepped and ready to state that I wanted the internship and why I was qualified for the position. However, in the moments before my shpeal the human resources coordinator questioned how my photography background could aid me in the fast paced fashion world. I felt that my on the spot answer consisting of words like visual art, composition, framing, balance, and passion fulfilled the requirements of what she expected from the query.
Later that day, after recovering from the interview, I started thinking about how the question was so relevant to a great amount of thought that I have mulling over concerning my approaching graduation and earned degree. How can I connect two things that are somewhat similar but make up two different parts of the art world? And in terms of my present work, how can I successfully connect performance art and photography together to make a clear working body of images?
For my current work, I am using photography solely as documentation for my performances. When I input the photographs into Photoshop I minimally change the exposure and crop but the subject matter and movement made throughout the performances is what I want to keep at the forefront. It is what is most important in the work and what I am using to portray my concept to my audience. My performances are moderately planned but my intentions do not include performing for the presence of a camera. I feel that I connect the two art forms in that the photography portrays the movements that I make in the performances in a flat but very select manner. It portrays the movements very differently than a video camera would and I feel very drawn to that static aesthetic when working with an art form that is very flat and still and another art form that is dynamic and lively.

1 comment:

  1. It’s great to know that you are thinking about these things now. It is a difficult task to find a place in the "working world" after such an "Art centric" education. This is a problem that all art students face. I battled with it for a few years after school. You don't always end up where you think you will. The thing that is most important to remember is that you can't start over! Whatever it is that you have done up till now has prepared you for more than you may see right now. You are a complexed thinker, excellent writer, and understand how to allow your passions to direct your energy instead of suppressing them. You are on the right track. It may feel like a rocky one, but you are doing it and doing it right. Make sure that you don't forget to be aware of where you are right now and use this time as well as you can. (much easier to say than do, I know)

    ReplyDelete