Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Thursday a.m. Idea Post 3/19

I was out for a run the other day and found my mind in an absolute clear. My feet were pounding the pavement beneath me and my thoughts seemed so rational and open. I decided what better time to contemplate new ideas than when my mind is this free from outside thought so I began to ponder new directions for my work. What next? I have been asking myself this question for the past two weeks and have had a difficult bout getting around to the answer. Where will I shoot next and what is going to be the basis of the shoot revolving around one central struggle? Lately a good amount of my focus has been put on finding struggles and presenting them in my performances. However, when those ideas ran out I am left feeling very confused, lost, and extremely frustrated as to what and where I should be taking my work.
The sun was pretty low in the sky and positioned to the left of my body painting a very accurate shadow of the challenge I inflict on my mind and body several times a week. Can I keep up with myself? Can I continue in this endeavor that I have been making my body accustom to for quite sometime now? The shadow next to me said it all without having my obvious figure and expressions in the frame. If I slowed down, my shadow slowed down. It was a complete mimic and I found it almost as a competition with myself. Being very preoccupied with how my form was while running, I found myself overly paying attention to how my motion became part of the pavement’s surface.
After thinking and attempting to comprehend the significance between my movement and the very stationary pavement beneath me I want to try a new approach to photographing these experiences that I have been calling struggles and challenges. My next self assignment is to wear a camera around my neck from the time I wake up till the time I go to sleep that night and to photograph everything around me sporadically all day. As difficult and as awkward as this could be, to have a somewhat heavy object weighing down on you all day, I am very interested to see what images I can get from this day; images that leave me, the one who is taking on the struggle/challenge, out of the frame. Knowing that each day is filled with numerous struggles, hopefully when I review the images taken and I will be surprised by what challenges showed up in the images that I was not aware of when they were taking place.

No comments:

Post a Comment