Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Thursday a.m. Idea Post 3/26




My self-assignment from last Saturday involved wearing my camera around my neck from the time I woke up til the time I went to bed; a sort of bizarre documentation of my days events. There were several instances when I felt myself hesitate to do something because of the somewhat weighty camera hanging from my neck. Those activities included brushing my teeth, using the bathroom, driving a car, buffet lines, eating at a restaurant, and undressing. These were a few of the definite struggles I encountered that day.
When looking through the images none of the struggles that I appeared to be having came through in the images. The pieces of evident struggles that were going on around me however did. That same day, I attended a baby shower that was comprised of a room full of 25 women and one small boy (the son of one of the women) whose subconscious attempts to balance out the insane amounts of estrogen filling the room was unsuccessful. Needless to say, there are a lot of side-glances that women are quite sneaky about and usually go unnoticed. However, I did find some interesting expressions from the shots I took at hip level. I was pleased to see something revealed to me that I did not notice while caught up in the soiree.
I chose to do this assignment because recently I have hit a creative wall and have felt very stuck. I have felt uninspired and very distant from my performance work. After reviewing these images I got a feeling of revival when looking at the interactions between all of the subjects in the frame. For my upcoming shoots, I would like to concentrate on challenges that I observed from the image study. For example, there was a struggle I noticed and immediately I had a visual of how I could portray that struggle in one of my performances. I saw a single room, a person feeling confined within a small space, and struggling to deal with the space and all that is inhabited in that space. I would like to depict this struggle by having the figure moving throughout the image (multiple frames combined into one complete image) and trying to maintain sanity in the confined space by keeping his/her mind busy with material objects and distractions. I feel like this set up is very similar to a feeling I got from some of the pictures at the shower where there were so many distractions in such a small space. I enjoy the anxiety that I saw in those pictures and really want to pull that out of my next series.

No comments:

Post a Comment