Sunday, November 29, 2009

Monday a.m. Artist Post 11/30









Being able to see and do…

This morning I was watching a special on improv acting at the Second City in Chicago. Being their 50th anniversary, this television special along with a Vanity Fair article I recently read, Second City honored their roots; where and who they began with. Harold Ramis, director and actor in several hit films, was one of a great group that got their start at the Second City acting hall. An excerpt from their website: “Since 1959, The Second City has established itself as a Chicago landmark and a national treasure. The theater that launched the careers of such comic greats as John Belushi, Mike Meyers, Bill Murray, Gilda Radner, and more offers nightly comedy shows, as well as a variety of other programs and services.” These actors learned together the art of improvisational comedy and would continue to work together throughout their professional careers.

The one I thought interested me most was Harold Ramis, actor in Ghostbusters, director of Caddyshack and Groundhog Day to name a few. On the television special this morning it highlighted his keen ability to pick out and work with actors who could throw a curve ball at the audience in an instant. Ramis is not only a director and an actor himself, but he also is one who understands the success and art of improvisational acting and what strength it can add to not only film but many other types of visual and performing arts.

Ramis was born on November 21, 1944 in Chicago, Illinois to food mart shop owners Ruth and Nathan Ramis. His upbringing was primarily Jewish and now in his adult life he does not practice a religion. He went to Nicholas Senn High School and in 1966 he attended Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri. After he graduated from Washington Univesrsity, he worked in a mental institution in St. Louis. Here is a quote from Ramis about his time spent at the institution. “…prepared me well for when I went out to Hollywood to work with actors. People laugh when I say that, but it was actually very good training. And not just with actors; it was good training for just living in the world. It’s knowing how to deal with people who might be reacting in a way that’s connected to anxiety or grief or fear or rage. As a director you’re dealing wit that constantly with actors. But if I were a businessman, I’d probably be applying those same principles to that line of work.”

When watching snippets of his movies and his cast choice, I admire his strong knowledge and faith when choosing these actors and their abilities to improvise. Their improvisations create a unique and visually interesting situation for the viewer to watch unfold. The various scenes through out the film become unpredictable and therefore successful. When I first began this second series of performances I chose to perform the first two out in spaces where there was not a great amount of traffic. However, the more I thought about my use of improv during the performance and what other elements could help deliver some mystery to my audience, I added in the presence of audience variable. I chose to shoot in places that were the exact opposite of where I shot the first two times. Having an involuntary audience creates more ways for me as a performer to improvise and mix up my performances according to their verbal responses, body language, glances and glares, and just over all attitude towards me being within a specific distance of them.

With this being my last artist research blog of my college career and for senior portfolio, I wanted to end on a subject and an artist that relate a good amount to what I am doing right now and what I hope to do in the future after graduation. I have always enjoyed Ramis’ films and am glad I caught the special on CBS Sunday Morning today or else I may have overlooked him and this topic of improv as a whole. While watching the television special I kept thinking to myself how important improv is and how I have not paid enough of attention to it throughout this past year and a half with my performance work. I have one last performance to do to complete my portfolio and I am going to plan on being more aware of my specific actions and reactions while doing the line dance and improvising according to my audience.



Second City Website


Harold Ramis Bio

SCTV Website

No comments:

Post a Comment