Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thursday a.m. Idea Post 11/26


Instructional Dance "Crank That" # 4 Digital C-Print 20inx16in

Instructional Dance "Crank That" # 4 Digital C-Print 8inx10in

As final critique nears I have been considering different possible displaying options and my reasoning for going with the option that I have come to choosing. Last semester, the first installment of this collection, I chose to leave the performance images unframed and with out a matt. The “glorified” image or the final image I chose to matt and frame. Thinking of how my work from last semester relates to my work of this semester, I have found that they are all performances dealing with movement and progression with one single performer; the performer who was also in the previous collection. When thinking of how the performances from this semester differ from last, I realized that the differing content would in turn make me question myself what do these specific moments mean and do? (The images that are chosen as the one to be displayed as the representative of the performance or the still image). The images that were chosen were the ones that I felt best represented the performer acting as other. The performance will remain unframed and free to keep/continue moving; I don’t want it to feel trapped or confined to a formal displaying method (frame and matt). The still image is one moment. Maybe one defining moment that paints a clear picture and characterizes the performer in a way that the audience feels like they have a sort of inside look into the performance. Therefore I want to formally place it in a matt and frame and encourage the act of studying. Focusing some extra attention on this specific print is important to the collection as a whole because the performance image tends to draw one in more due to the progression and constant movement throughout the print.

I want to keep my imagery for this collection (both semesters included) as cohesive as possible and feel that their displaying methods should be consistent as well. However, keeping their displaying methods consistent, I am prepared to discuss why I chose to display my new installment in the same way as last semester even though it is significantly different.

No comments:

Post a Comment