Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thursday a.m. Idea Post 11/12



Taking into consideration what was said at my last critique, I chose to shoot my next performance in front of a crowd. Going into this performance I was really intimidated and tried to convince myself not to it several times. However, in order to give this series some new speed and momentum, I knew this was an appropriate addition to experiment with. As I was making my way out to the shoot location, I noticed there was a good amount of people out there playing around since it was a nice day outside. Immediately, I became aware of who my audience was and because ¾ of them were under the age of 18 I began to worry about the immaturity level and the snickering that could happen. I pressed play on my Ipod and felt myself constantly turning around and making myself aware of what kind of scene I was making. However, to my surprise my audience had not noticed me; or they were not reacting to a young female dressed in a flowy Hispanic outfit doing specific dances out in the middle of a grassy field in the middle of a neighborhood. As time went by, I became more comfortable doing the performance in front of this oblivious audience that my moves gradually began to be more fluid.
One of the things I thought was interesting about this performance was how my expectations for my audience were clearly exceeded and more. I expected my audience to get in the way of the success of my performance instead they added something unique and quirky. In one of the stills that I feel is quite strong, I am in mid dance while this teenage boy is jumping up in the air to catch a football. What was important to my audience was to carry on with their outdoor activities. I was invisible to them and I am enjoying taking the idea of me acting as other and my audience not even noticing my presence as I am performing as someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment